Daily 10:00 AM - 07:00 PM, Wednesdays until 09:00 PM
On 1 May 1865 Emperor Franz Joseph officially opened the Ringstraße in Vienna. In 2015 Vienna is celebrating this boulevard’s 150th birthday. 1865 is also the year in which Max Fabiani was born and in this anniversary year the Az W is delighted to present an exhibition about one of the fathers of modern architecture in Vienna.
Born in Slovenia Max Fabiani is considered one of the fathers of modern architecture in Vienna. He worked in the studio of Otto Wagner at the Vienna Stadtbahn, when he designed the premises of Portois & Fix in Ungargasse (1898-1900) and the building for Artaria Verlag on Kohlmarkt (1900-1901). Modernity and willingness to compromise proved Fabiani in 1910 with the construction of the Urania building. The adult education building and observatory also marks the end of the Ringstraße.
Curator: Andrej Hrausky
Project coordination Az W: Alexandra Viehhauser
Speakers at the Opening:
Dietmar Steiner, Director Az W
Andrej Hrausky, Curator oft he exhibition
Boris Podrecca, Architect
Josef Ostermayer, Federal Minister for Arts and Culture, Constitution and Public Service
Julijana Bizjak Mlakar, Minister of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia
Geschäftsgruppe – Stadtentwicklung, Verkehr, Klimaschutz, Energieplanung und BürgerInnenbeteiligung
The Arts Division and the Culture Division of the Federal Chancellery of Austria
Geschäftsgruppe Kultur und Wissenschaft
Sponsor: ARCHITECTURE LOUNGE