The Confiscation of Jewish-owned Furniture.
The concept for the exhibition is the result of many years of research work in their own stock. Following the “Annexation” of Austria in March 1938, the furniture from eight “Ayrianised” Viennese Jewish households was stored in the state furniture depot. A large portion of the property was inventoried as “Aryanised” and consequently became the property of the state. After the end of the war only very little was ever returned to its former owners.
During the Nazi period and right up until 1998, furniture was primarily lent out to state functionaries — in accordance with the official function of the furniture depot. In this way, until very recently the furniture concerned was to be found in rudimentary civil service offices, ministries, Austrian embassies abroad, theatres etc. Any pieces that still remain have been subject to the law concerning the return of confiscated artworks since 1998, and are being handed back to the families of the former owners.
Exhibition at the Kaiserliches Hofmobiliendepot:
September 07, 2000 to November 19, 2000
Concept and academic co-ordination of the exhibition: Ilsebill Barta-Fliedl, Herbert Posch
MMD (Museen des Mobiliendepots/furniture depot museums)
AG theoretical and applied Museology
Institute for Interdisciplinary Research and Further Education of Klagenfurt, Vienna, Innsbruck and Graz Universities (IFF)
Meeting: 2:00 P.M., Kaiserliches Hofmobiliendepot, Andreasgasse 7, A – 1070 Vienna
Guides: Ilsebill Barta-Fliedl, Herbert Posch
Tickets: EUR 7.30 (ATS 100.-) / EUR 3.65 (ATS 50.-)